Fibromyalgia, or where does this pain come from? ..
Fibromyalgia, or Where did this pain come from? … 9044.jpeg
The main symptom of fibromyalgia is spilled muscle pain that lasts more than three months. Experts put forward several theories about the possible causes of its occurrence. Guzel Tabeeva, professor of the First Sechenov Moscow State Medical University, answers the questions about what this disease is and how it can be fought against MedPulse readers.
– Guzel Rafkatovna, tell us more about this disease, who is most exposed to it? What is fibromyalgia?
– Little is written about this disease, there is not much information, despite the huge number of patients, therefore there are myths in this regard. One of the most common myths is that fibromyalgia is a new, previously unknown disease. It is not true. Fibromyalgia has existed for about 200-300 thousand years before other diseases existed. The second myth is that the number of cases of the disease has been growing recently. It’s also not true, because they began to deal actively with this problem only recently, to better understand and better identify it. The third myth is that it seems that some women are ill. This is not so, just women are more likely to turn than men. Men are also ill. Another issue is that diseases in men go under different masks. Radiculitis, osteochondrosis, chronic fatigue are diagnosed, many suffer from alcoholism to hide pain symptoms. Of course there are ten times more women, but this is not exclusively a female disease.
– And how does this disease manifest itself, what are the symptoms of fibromyalgia?
– If you simplify the situation, then these are common muscle pains. This disease can last for years, decades, and a person can suffer from it all his conscious life, the most active working age. I would like to draw attention to the fact that the pain is very special. If you look at patients with fibromyalgia, you can imagine the first day of the flu, when there is an unpleasant pain that turns all muscles upside down. So imagine that this is a daily pain that lasts for many years. Patients themselves describe their pain with such terms as: painful, intolerable. One of these terms can be used to describe a patient as “the princess on a pea”, when a person experiences pain from any touch. Such patients do not wear a hat, glasses, rings, anything that touches them can cause pain. They do not tolerate such a procedure as massage. When a patient comes to see a doctor, he rarely says, “It hurts me everywhere.” He always actualizes some area in his body. And when they begin to ask him in more detail, he says: “My head, neck, knees, and back hurt.” It turns out that it hurts everywhere. This is very painful suffering and the doctors, seeing the torment of their patients, are constantly looking for some organic causes. Because a person can’t just refuse to work, refuse to leave the house and not take care of himself if he has no reason for this. So this is also a myth of no organic anatomical basis, so that these disorders occur in the muscular system – they do not find it.
– And this disease can occur in a healthy person, just like that out of the blue or all the same, do you need some kind of predisposition?
– A typical situation exists in practice when a person lives and he has diseases associated with his age, osteochondrosis, arthrosis, sometimes aching joints, but he lives normally and nothing bothers him much. And then he suffers severe stress and falls ill with all these disorders. There are two important aspects, after that does not mean that this is due to that. A second important aspect of fibromyalgia is a stressful disease. Mental stress is a powerful negative effect on a huge number of systems in the body and, above all, on the most important system – the hypothalamus. People who suffer from fibromyalgia are predisposed to stress. They are more vulnerable. Perhaps it is of a genetic nature. But so far, no gene has been discovered that has a mutation responsible for fibromyalgia.
– Is it possible for a sick person to take painkillers and continue to work? It can help, somehow not think about pain? Nobody canceled the work.
– Fibromyalgia is not only pain. There are various muscle cramps: numbness, discomfort in the abdomen, fatigue, sleep disturbance, depression, many manifestations. But the key symptoms that each patient has is the obligatory morning stiffness, when a person can not move, get out of bed, because all his muscles are clamped and constrained. In such cases, you need to take a warm shower, massage yourself. Asthenia is also present when a person feels constantly tired. Of course, many people have fatigue for various reasons, but such patients experience fatigue every day. Many patients complain of poor memory, they say that they poorly remember the sequence of something.